Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Birthday in the Life of Irene L. Roth

Today was an eventful birthday :). After about only 3 hours of sleep [due to various circumstances that I shall not disclose ;)] I woke up raring to go... kind of. First off I filled myself up with a delicious breakfast put out by the staff of RCS. Next up was the soccer tournament that Esther and I organized for the kids in grades 5-8 as a fundraiser for our trip. The weather was looking VERY iffy but at 10:00 it still wasn't raining so we decided to go for it. Although the weather was rather tumultuous at times the kids stayed in good spirits on the whole and a good time was had by most. I had fun too :)

Talking about the weather reminds me of a chat I had about how the weather today matches my personality to a T. The sky started out flat - it was gray and overcast, dreary and dull. But then the wind picked up and the air became alive. The squall sent the clouds scurrying and an unexpected torrent of rain gushed from the clouds as the thunder rumbled. But just as quickly as the rain started, the storm clouds rolled away and it was sunny and cheerful again. The moral of this story? Ok, so I do have a bit of a temper, and I can get a little bit moody at times. BUT, at least I don't stay upset long or hold grudges - I just let it all out and then things are back to smooth sailing :)


Thanks so much Owen, Dan, Mike, Karin, Tracey and Corine for reffing and helping out with organizing stuff and cleaning up! A humongous thanks also to Mr. & Mrs. Vandenberg for all their help with making things run smoothly and baking tons of delicious squares to help with our fundraising!


Some pictures from the tournament:

having a ball of a time


Referee Michael (notice the ominous looking clouds)


yup, it started pouring...


...but that just made it more fun


thankfully the worst of the storm was pretty short lived and blue sky was seen for a little while :)


pizza and pop for lunch


the finals were held after lunch - see how sunny it got?


watching the game and drying up in the sun - actually right after the tournament ended it started pouring again



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love the captions, irene.
lol corine the hired slave.
by the way, did those pictures of you and me turn out super horrendous?