Monday, February 20, 2012

Bedroom Rehaul

What have I been up to lately? Revamping my room! I got the urge one day and within minutes was perusing the web and Ikea magazines for ideas. I made a small, to scale drawing of my room and furniture to help facilitate the planning process. Redoing my room included sanding and repainting the ceiling, painting the walls and trim, purchasing new bookcases and rearranging the furniture. Unfortunately I forgot to take before pictures and the only ones I could find are below! I think I was in the middle of going through my wardrobe - please excuse the messy mounds of clothing! Some of you may be wondering why I decided to redo my room since I've been talking on and off about moving out and getting my own place. At this point I'm not sure what direction my life will take, where I'll be in the next year and what I'll be doing, so I figured for the time being I may as well create a space I enjoy being in, and I'll always have the furniture for my own place when I move out!

View from doorway looking in. My curtains are drawn shut here:

Dresser & closet. My closet door busted a while ago so I just sewed a curtain to hang in front:

Homemade bookcase which served me well for many years:

Let the work begin! This was hard work let me tell you... my neck was so sore for several days:

Dad lacked faith in my painting abilities so he did most of it. From yellow to gray:

Tada! Behold the new look. View from the doorway looking in:

I just need to add a lamp to the wall above the desk area:

View of the closed bedroom door:

Reading area!:

I started collecting WillowTree figurines quite a few years ago:
Small touches, picture of Dad and I as a toddler, and African decor:

New storage for my crafting supplies!:

Ingenious way to display and store my necklaces:


10 comments:

Sandra said...

Good job! The bookcase complex is amazing - you can fit so much! From Ikea, I'm assuming? They always have amazing storage ideas for small(er) places. The grey must be pretty subtle, no? It's a nice update, although I do love cheery yellow. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Shezzam Barney

Anonymous said...

YUMMY! I love it! I'll hopefully be seeing it soon!

Anonymous said...

Great job bean! Now that you have developed great skills, come on down again .... I have some painting etc. to tackle.;)
Lora

Anonymous said...

super nice, Irene! you caused a little tiff over here because wouter said, finally she's out of the 70's yellow colour and i said, no, it's just different over there in canada, not old-fashioned...

Nicolette said...

LOVE IT! Great job! Now this will inspire me to complete the playroom redecoration!

kmdutchlife said...

It's Marlies here...
You did a really good job Irene! I love it!
Doesn't this give you incentive to keep it organized? It would me totally...

Irene said...

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! :) I added a few different touches since and love spending time in my room now!

Anonymous said...

Now you have to post the sweet lamp you redecorated...and I love the subtle grey! lol
Dor

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

Love the necklace rake!