Friday, November 22, 2013

Woe of the Week

Who remembers the Tale of Two Bad Mice by Beatrix Potter? The story follows Hunca Munca and her husband Tom Thumb as they run riot through a beautiful doll house. They try to eat the food and are disappointed to find it glued to the plates and the tins in the larder are full of beads. Well, we discovered evidence of our own Hunca Munca and Tom Thumb the other day! Upon unpacking our ceramic houses to set up our winter village, there nestled in the porch of one of the houses was a carefully crafted mouse nest.
At the moment I was only too disgusted to take a picture of it! Needless to say, the house and figurines got a good scrubbing before setting them up on display! I was only so very thankful that the mice were no longer living in the houses the day I discovered their nest. That would have been a surprise I didn't need!




2 comments:

Marcia said...

Don't worry; Hunca and Tom have moved to Lynden, and are leaving me lovely gifts in the silverware drawer. Needless to say, the silverware is no longer kept in the drawer. Had the same problem last year, and the Victor caught 11 before the battle was over. I am now looking on kijiji for a cat!

Irene said...

Yikes! 11 eh! We caught 4 mice in our kitchen in the last few weeks. Luckily we have quite a few stray cats who live around our house and I think they must do some part in keeping the mice away!