Monday, March 22, 2010

Character Flaw


I have discovered a flaw in my character. (Who would have thought?? Irene Roth? A flaw? I must be hearing things right???) But I digress...


So yes, I was doing a little self-examination the other day and have come the conclusion that I have a problem with throwing my heart and soul into everything I do, and then consequently, I usually end up feeling hurt and disappointed. I'll plan something fun and exciting, get my heart all set on it, and then if it gets cancelled or doesn't turn out good I'll get all bummed out... Maybe I should change my life motto of "go big or go home" to "roll with the punches" - just take life as it comes instead of getting all set on something only to end up disappointed.

On a related note, some say it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. I think I agree - even though the hurt really sucks, I would rather have experienced the feelings of love, the initial excitements, thrills and joys (even if only short-lived) than to have lived my life with my heart tucked away and hidden behind an iron wall.

What are your thoughts?

9 comments:

Amanda said...

i would have to agree....i think that line "rather have loved and lost than to never love at all" is from a song i know :)

Nicolette said...

roll with the punches is a good motto i think. not too sure about the loved and have lost thingy because often what we think we loved in the end turns out to be not true. and i think i would rather have not loved at all then lost because then i wouldn't know what i was missing. on a funny note, i always get a caution from our net nanny when i go on your blog for "alcohol" and "tobacco" the same thing i get for esthers. you canadians!!!

Irene said...

I have something to say about your comment "often what we think we loved in the end turns out to be not true." Ok maybe it didn't turn out to be true lasting love, but there are all kinds of love right: love among friends, crushes, puppy love,
passionate love.... Maybe you would disagree and say that none of those are "true" love - but at the time those emotions are present and real for the person involved right, you can't discredit them and just brush them off.
I can see your point when you say then you wouldn't know what you were missing, but I think I would rather live life to the fullest and experience all kinds of things rather than keeping my heart hidden and passions tucked away.
But that's just me :D

Nicolette said...

yeah, that sounds like current philosophy to me about livin life to the fullest...etc. i think that is nonsense, personally. i think it is wise to guard your heart until you are sure. there. now you are mad at me... love you,
nic

Irene said...

Haha ya i hate you now :P

Anonymous said...

Niccy's right beany - you'll see when you're older and wiser like us ;). I suffered the same anticipations and let downs as you do - you need to enjoy the moments you are in - happiness is serendipitous - not forced or created. Plus frankly life in a sinful world is disapointing. I think the love lost only applies to true love - not the crush stuff - then I would agree with Nic.
Lora

Anonymous said...

okay to weigh in with the sisters...it depends why you've never loved. is it because you've barred your heart from loving? that you're being stingy with your heart and not open to possibilities? or b/c love never came your way (which is a different story altogether)? and loving, and being loved (even if you lose it in the end) is marvellous (said as a girl in love and being loved in return). so head for those mountaintops beanie, even if it means plunging to the valley of despair once in awhile.

Irene said...

now that is advice that I like! thanks joey!! ;)

Lorraine said...

Irene,
You sound like an "A" type personality and an "optimist". My sister is like that too and I also find she's often disappointed in how somethings turned out (or not turned out because one has anticipated better/more.)I'd say I'm more of a "realist"so I'm cautiously "optimistic"as I kinda guard my heart from being hurt too much because I also love deeply.I often find "man disappoints"and then I'm so thankful that God understands and He's always there!