Monday, November 1, 2010
Sunday Work
Shucks its been 2 weeks since I last blogged! Tsk tsk. Generally when I don't blog it's cause I've been feeling rawther down and out (so friends, if you noticed I haven't blogged in a while, give me an extra hug, haha), but this time it's actually because I've been busy and otherwise occupied! I went to New Jersey for 5 days with mom to visit my dear sisters and see my new niece Annika Reagan :P, and then I've just been busy working and babysitting and whatnot. Anyhow, enough of my personal life, because really, who's interested? So lets move on to a dilemma question I have regarding working on Sunday.
As a nurse I work some Sundays - I'd rather not but it's all part of the job. If I have a shift scheduled for Saturday and Sunday night I try to switch one of them so I can at least attend one church worship service. Now, since I only have a part-time position unfortunately, I try to take as many shifts that I get called in for as I can, since they are few and far between. But sometimes things can cross into the gray area, if you know what I'm saying. Take for example this past weekend, I was scheduled to work Saturday night - no big deal, I'd come home, sleep and go to church in the evening. Unfortunately however, one of the nurses scheduled for Sunday night had a family emergency and no other staff were able to cover her shift, so I said I was able to work it... I mean I know it's not ideal to not be able to attend any worship service, but as a nurse don't I have an obligation to my patients' best interest as well? If I hadn't gone in they would have been short staffed which is never fun...
Whaddya think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'd say if you get called in because of an emergency...well that's what it is, an emergency. Go for it. Listen to the sermons on sermonaudio.com sometime the next week.
Being a nurse is an act of mercy and sometimes growing up in the FRC we make work on Sunday so forbidden...that even when we have jobs that are necessary to have on the Sabbath day we feel guilty about it. Don't feel guilty...Christ healed on the Sabbath so it is definitely not a gray area. Thank you for being a nurse, so that if something happens to one of us on a Sunday there is someone there to help us. "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy."
Thanks for your thoughts! I generally don't feel guilty about working on Sunday... just if I've missed quite a few church services in a row and then get called in on a Sunday it's a bit of a dilemma for me - on the one hand I can use the hours but on the other hand I don't like missing church worship so much!
Hi! :0) I don't know you but got to your blog through Jacinda's. I am a nurse as well (well, was before our baby came along), and found it best for me to work any shifts that were scheduled, but I never took any call-ins on Sundays. That way I could attend more worship services, and I wouldn't have to decide if I was doing it "for the money", or "I need/WANT just one more shift this pay". Hope you are enjoying nursing! :0)
Post a Comment