Friday, August 19, 2011

These are my moments, days in the sun


Have you ever had moments/events/circumstances in your life that have really made you stop and think? How cliched that sounds. But how true! I experienced something recently that has made me realize how naive I am in a sense, and how sheltered I've been from a life of abuse (physical, verbal, substance). This is a good thing of course. But my "innocent" happy-go-lucky life has also made me alot less sensitive and mindful of the hurt and pain that many are faced with all around me. [Outwardly], I've done everything in my life right. I graduated with good grades from high-school. I studied hard in university and finished with my Bachelors of Science in Nursing. But think of how many teens/young adults there are who aren't as fortunate as I've been. Or who from one (or a series of) poorly made choice(s) are now faced with a criminal record, perhaps jail time, enormous debt, and a life full of regrets. If they ever want to rebuild their life, do you know how monumental of a job they are facing? I'm 25 years old and single. I can literally "do anything" with my life. If I choose to travel the world, I can freely with no hassle. If I choose to work in a different country, no big deal. I come across so many different people in my field of work - many who wouldn't be in need of receiving care if it wasn't for substance abuse. But how often have I laughed off or secretly jeered at those "pot-heads" or drinkers with others?

Everyone has their own life story and I think it's time I was more sensitive to the crosses, fears, and grief that that person could very well be faced with, every day, every moment, while I live my carefree life. I've been inspired with a desire to in some way help those who are REALLY in need. Not just stand impersonally behind a counter of food in a soup kitchen, but personally, one on one. Although at the same time, that thought does strike fear into my heart. Because who am I? I'm an innocent, and I don't have a good way with words...

But, Jesus didn't go with the message of Salvation to the affluent who had it all together, He went to the destitute, the down and out, those who had made poor life choices. What are we doing with our life to emulate Jesus?



2 comments:

Amanda said...

good post :)

Anonymous said...

It's so easy to stay in our little bubble and not let other's lives affect us. Easy, but not glorifying to God.