I'll be the first to admit it. When I hear the word 'nurse' I generally think of a female. Likewise, when I hear 'doctor' I usually think of a male. Thankfully things are changing as more men enter the nursing profession and many females are becoming doctors. However, I think the common misconception that nursing is a girly, feminine job still prevails. When you think of nursing maybe an old-fashioned picture arises in your mind, one of the Florence Nightingale type soothing the fevered brows of dying soldiers.
Or maybe -due to the ignorant media- another image of a nurse pops into your mind - this one of the over-sexualized, objectified nurse in a little white dress flirting with her patients and the doctors.
Thankfully however, nursing isn't either of the above. With new technology evolving everyday and advances in science and medicine keeping critically ill patients with multiple co-morbidities alive longer, nursing traits focus less on compassion and caring and more on excellent assessment, critical thinking and organizational skills. Not that a compassionate heart and caring attitude aren't important, BUT, being on the frontline as the one primarily responsible for my patients, it's imperative that I have the knowledge and skills to effectively advocate for them.
Here on the NeuroSurg floor I work with several male nurses and enjoy the different perspective that they lend to my profession. Besides, it's nice having a set of strong arms around when you have a lot of heavy turning and repositioning to do!
I looked up the history of men in nursing and interestingly enough, only men were considered "pure" enough to enter what is thought to be the world's first nursing school, which was founded in India about 250 B.C. For the next two millennia, nursing remained male-dominated and it took warfare in the 19th and 20th centuries to transform nursing from being considered a man's job to a women's profession.One of the biggest shifts in the profession came in 1901 when the military nursing corps was reorganized and men were no longer allowed to serve as nurses, furthering the process of the feminization of nursing. It wasn't until the 1950s that men were again recognized as nurses and allowed into nursing schools!
So, the point of my post? I'm hoping the view of nursing as a "girly, feminine" profession will soon die out!
Or maybe -due to the ignorant media- another image of a nurse pops into your mind - this one of the over-sexualized, objectified nurse in a little white dress flirting with her patients and the doctors.
Thankfully however, nursing isn't either of the above. With new technology evolving everyday and advances in science and medicine keeping critically ill patients with multiple co-morbidities alive longer, nursing traits focus less on compassion and caring and more on excellent assessment, critical thinking and organizational skills. Not that a compassionate heart and caring attitude aren't important, BUT, being on the frontline as the one primarily responsible for my patients, it's imperative that I have the knowledge and skills to effectively advocate for them.
Here on the NeuroSurg floor I work with several male nurses and enjoy the different perspective that they lend to my profession. Besides, it's nice having a set of strong arms around when you have a lot of heavy turning and repositioning to do!
I looked up the history of men in nursing and interestingly enough, only men were considered "pure" enough to enter what is thought to be the world's first nursing school, which was founded in India about 250 B.C. For the next two millennia, nursing remained male-dominated and it took warfare in the 19th and 20th centuries to transform nursing from being considered a man's job to a women's profession.One of the biggest shifts in the profession came in 1901 when the military nursing corps was reorganized and men were no longer allowed to serve as nurses, furthering the process of the feminization of nursing. It wasn't until the 1950s that men were again recognized as nurses and allowed into nursing schools!
So, the point of my post? I'm hoping the view of nursing as a "girly, feminine" profession will soon die out!



2 comments:
Good post, Irene. My comment previously did indeed lend the thought that I considered nursing a 'feminine' job. I do however, know of several male nurses, but in all honesty I'm still happier when a female nurse is on call. Maybe it's their 'tenderness' combined with their skill that gives the added touch. It took some adjusting the first time a male nurse helped me out (in the maternity ward, mind you, so maybe that's different). Looking back, my comment was also prompted by people who suggest that women can only find their fulfillment in their home (as wife / mother). If often confronted with such blogs / people / communities, a single woman can have the feeling that they are not worthwhile in the job / calling they are doing now. Hope that makes sense. Take care, and happy nursing! ;)
I understand Sandra and I wasn't meaning to target you! :)
I've just had several similar comments in the past about me being a nurse and it being a "girly" job :P
Post a Comment