Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Why Do We Hurt the Ones we Love the Most? Woeful Wednesday #34

Why do we hurt the ones we love most?

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. (James 1:19-20, ESV)

Hurtful words, petty arguments, selfish motives, bitterness, irritability, a hypocritical spirit... they rise up so easily in my heart and manifest themselves in my words and actions - most often against the ones who are dearest to me, my family and friends. Why? It saddens my heart.



Three months ago Tim Challies wrote a blog post on a similar topic titled "Believing the Worst of Those Who Love Me Most." He writes: "One area of sin that continues to baffle and disappoint is my inability to consistently think rightly about other people’s motives. Perhaps it isn’t thinking about their motives as much as it is assuming them. I am amazed at my own proclivity to assume the worst of others, and especially those who have done the most for me." He ends with: "When I ponder the cross I see that I don’t love because I don’t yet understand how much I have been loved. So I look to the cross again. And again." It will be worth your time to read the whole article here!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really loved that article when I read it too!
-Ange