Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Woodpecker Wednesday #33

Upon noticing the abundance of birds on Ange and Josh's bird feeders this past weekend, we got onto the topic of woodpeckers. A couple of years ago I was taking a walk in the woods when I saw a tree with a thick layer of wood shavings all around it. "Whoa!" I thought to myself. "That must be one massive woodpecker!" Josh surmised that it must have been a Pileated woodpecker. How cool would it be to see one? According to Josh, they are like 2 feet tall! Well wonders upon wonders, Ange and I took a walk on Monday afternoon in the Blandford Nature Center and guess what we saw! A Pileated Woodpecker in all its glory, hammering away happily! It was so neat to see, especially since we had just been talking about them the day before! (Sorry that the video is sideways! I need to figure out how to flip it on the computer). 

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bean,
Taylor just saw one last week for the first time. I've never seen one. So cool.... I'll show him your pics.
Lora

Anonymous said...

Two feet tall, eh. Hmmmm.
Ray

Irene said...

That's josh for ya! always telling whoppers ;)

Anonymous said...

Very neat! We've seen them too, but John will envious of the photo op!
Dor