I want to blog but I fear that if I post just for the sake of keeping my blog updated my posts will become uninteresting, redundant, superficial (if they aren't already!). So what do I do? Make my blog a posting grounds of info and pictures related to day to day personal events or funny anecdotes, or keep my blog limited to abstract thoughts, philosophical questionings and wise words of wisdom? The problem with personal posts (at least for me) is that there is the tendency to portray a shallow portrait of my life - it looks like a garden of roses from the fun cutesy pictures to the exciting relating of events... or it can swing the other way and become depressive as I post thoughts and feelings that are better left unsaid in such a public place. I also feel rather inadequate when I read other people's blogs who are just oh so inspirational to a whole slew of readers, who are able to post anecdotes that are worded hilariously or who seem to have such a picture-perfect life with their DH and/or kids and home-making projects!!
And is it ok just to blog when the urge strikes? I don't really care how many readers I have (with blogger I can't even track the statistics) - I just keep my blog cause I like my handy list on the right hand side that updates who blogged last. But I feel that in order to be dubbed an official "blogger" I need to update my blog at LEAST 3-4x a week...
See? This blog post was just vain ramblings of a whole lotta huey cause I felt like I needed to update but didn't know what to write about! Maybe a grand burst of inspiration will strike soon and I'll come up with something fantastic. Stay tuned dear readers!
4 comments:
Irene I can totally relate! For me it's sometimes a lack of time, but usually it's a lack of inspiration. I also want to avoid portraying my life as rosey as can be - which a lot of bloggers do! After all, there are very few blogs that confess struggles, depressions, sins, etc!
But do keep on blogging, even if it's only when inspiration strikes :)
Thanks Sandra! :) I really enjoy reading your blog when you update it too!
I think, Irene, that most people as they get older realize that behind everyone's blog, there is an ordinary life with its ordinary struggles. Sure, some people portray only the positive aspects of their life (maybe I do!), but I don't think that's wrong. In my case, I don't want to share my struggles/sins/gloom with the public. It doesn't mean that I'm pretending I live a "perfect" life, but I use my blog to hopefully inspire others and myself WHEN I'm feeling down. But really, it's up to everyone personally what they want to blog about and how often. Just do whatever suits your needs.
That's true Ange, never thought of it that way. I think your blog IS an inspiration for many!! (Although it does make me a teensy bit jealous at times :P to have such a gifted, talented sister with a gem of a hubby!).
Post a Comment