Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tradition!

I love this film...  Sometimes I've had the feeling that what happened to some of the daughters in Fiddler on the Roof might be my experience as well. Tradition is good and has it's place for sure... but I think perhaps we can sometimes be too set on traditions that have no moral ground. And being the last of a large family to get married is a little scary too! When you have an opinionated family (not necessarily a bad thing) with high standards, the thought of taking anyone home makes me nervous! Especially if they are not from the same background and traditions that I've grown up with. But... if I feel peace about it before God then I think it's ok to forge ahead and chart new territories while forming a relationship. Words of advice are always welcome and I will try to receive them graciously ;), but above all prayer is most appreciated! We have a God who is able to do "abundantly more than we ask for or think!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our in law kids are such blessings to us - we could have never chosen better spouses for them. When you find the man you want to marry - I'm sure your family will love him too!
Maria

Nicolette said...

highly critical, make that opinionated family????!!!!! i'll have you know that for the most part, i have full trust in you darling!!!! so there!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah... You said it...you are a bit of a loose cannon. So glad there was no Internet/blogs/fb when I was younger. Coming from one loose cannon to another :) Traditions may not always be moral situations but they do provide a level of comfort,stability, and tend to ground you which isn't a bad thing. How would you like to come home after working 4 long shifts and never know what to expect... Always have to figure out what happens next... Dinner isn't cooked, then it is, then it's at 8 pm, then at 5 pm with no explanation. Then there's no food in the fridge, then it's hot in the house, then the heat is
never on. One day dutchpsalms playing, the next day cold play blasting. Just a feeble analogy... Traditions provide structure and stability. One day you'll find mr. Right and keep some old ways and make some new traditions of your own.
Lora