Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Summer to Fall

The changing of seasons. What sort of emotions does that evoke in your heart? For me, seeing the first buds on a tree, the first bright green shoots pushing their heads through the garden soil, feeling the first hint of warmth in the air after a long, cold, gray winter - I feel a stirring of excitement and anticipation deep down inside. A longing for change and new things. What a wonderful Creator we have - I'm so glad I live in an area of the world that experiences four distinct seasons! There's a new cool, fresh snap to the summer evening and early mornings these days. As I anticipate autumn, my mind wanders to warm sweaters and jeans, scarves and rosy cheeks, leaves crunching underfoot, backpacks and new teachers, fresh white notebooks and well-stocked pencil cases. But then, just like at the waning of every season, I wonder - where has summer gone? I haven't had the chance yet to enjoy it as I was hoping to! The long, seemingly endless, hot, sticky sunny days will soon be a thing of the past. The days are getting shorter - darkness is creeping in earlier and sticking around later. Soon running out the door won't just be a matter of throwing on a pair of flip flops and taking off. Biking around town in the cooler evening hours, stopping for icecream on occasion just because, and it's hot, and it's summer. Weeding the garden with satisfaction as the sweat drips into your eyes and down your back and dirt clings to your legs and sticks under your nails. Having hamburgers and iced tea on the patio for supper. Packing up and heading to the beach - splashing in the waves and building a sand castle as the sun burns your back. These are the little things that make it summer and that will be missed. 

*It was 4am when I woke up to use the bathroom and inspiration struck for this post. Why does my best writing seem to come in the wee hours of the night when I'm least likely to actually capture the words on paper or computer? Because as we all know, now that it's daylight and you're trying to recapture those great thoughts you had at 4am while drifting back to sleep, your words will just fall flat. Today I'm glad I took the initiative to record the overflowings of my heart into words at 4am. Inspiration has been a long time coming and when it comes I better live up to the name of my blog and seize the day!

No comments: