Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Car Troubles: Wednesday's Woe #19

It all started a few days ago. I noticed that my gas gauge seemed to be dropping abnormally fast and I started getting really bummed… what? Why is my car burning through gas so fast? I thought my dear Kia Soul was fuel efficient! Then on Monday night I noticed that my engine light was one. OOPS! How long was that on for? The reason I didn’t notice it earlier is because I have a little origami lotus flower sitting in front of my dials  – effectively covering up the glaring orange light.  A sixth sense prodded me to move it aside and lo and behold, there was my engine light glaring at me. Well, now I know where the engine light is located on my dashboard. Time to move the lotus! Fast forward to Tuesday morning: I was a little grumpy cause I had gotten up really early to rush around and get ready for a Neuro Conference I was attending in Toronto. Then, just before running out the door, in search of purse sized packs of Kleenexes, a drawer decided to come crashing down on my head. GRR! Now I was hopping mad. I took a few deep, slow breaths and glancing at the clock, headed towards Costco to tank up on the cheapest gas in town. As I took off the gas cap from my tank I heard an audible “whoosh” of air escaping. Huh?? I shrugged and proceeded to tank up. About $2 in an unexpected gush of gas back-flowed over the side of my car onto the ground. It was  as if my car was vomiting gas (like when your bottle feeding your baby and suddenly, BLAH, it all comes gushing back up)… or if you want a prettier mental image :P, it was like a waterfall cascading out of my gas tank. What in tarnation?? I started feeling a little shaky. When it comes to car troubles, my first response is always to get a little emotional. Peering over the gas pump I asked the fellow next door what he knew about cars. He advised me to try again but this time pump the gas in really slowly. So I waited a couple of minutes and then tried again. Click, click, click… it was like I was spoon feeding small bites of baby food into a toddler. I neared the $2 mark… and it happened AGAIN!! Great snakes, what do I do now? I was due in Burlington to carpool in 20 minutes and mom and dad were 5 hours north. After mopping up the side of my car and having the gas attendant spray as special solution on the gas spill, I bravely started the car up (I was half expecting a huge explosion) and headed off. After a tearful call to my work buddy, I was graciously picked up 20 minutes later (stinking like gas fumes). He even bought me a delicious Sausage & Egg McMuffin to cheer my spirits :). 


All in all, the day ended great. The conference was quite interesting and had a lot of good information and the setting was absolutely gorgeous.  It was held at the Old Mill Inn in Toronto – its old fashioned nature, twisty turny confusing hallways and staircases bedecked with Christmas décor, and the classical Christmas carols playing overhead all made me fall in love. I can’t wait to take my mom for afternoon tea there sometime! I initially thought an overnight stay would be fun, but the $200/person price tag deterred me! 


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had the same problem I had with my car! The vent from the gas tank must have something blocking the air from going out and so the gas bubbles out. Anyways, that's what was the matter with mine. Hope you get it fixed and glad your day went better!
-Ange

Jeanette said...

Oh Irene hilarious story! You crack me up I can totally see you! Sounds like a fun conference! I've heard of that place before. :) did u fix your car now?

Nicolette said...

oh poor bubs! car troubles are the WORST! i turn into a blubber ball too cause it's just a terrible feeling and you don't know WHAT to do! anyway, i never heard of such a thing before (gas bubbling out!!!)
nic

Irene said...

Thanks for the support guys! My cars still not fixed (they had to order a part), but hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow. Apparently it's some pressure valve in teh gas tank that decided to head south...

Sandra said...

Love your description of your car 'barfing'!! :)
Hope it's working again?