Saturday, June 22, 2013

Beauty in Your Backyard

I know that each season heralds beauty in it's own way - autumn with it's spread of golden trees and crispy, crunchy leaves underfoot and winter with it's dazzling blanket of purity, - but it seems like I just can't get away from beauty at this time of year! It's everywhere: in the gardens, in the rolling green hills, the sunny blue skies, the warm weather -  I could go on and on. But what I love most about this time of year is the ability to go and enjoy the outdoors but more easily. I love taking my breakfast outside, eating lunch 'neath the shade of the old maple tree, napping in the hammock while hearing the drone of airplanes overhead and lawnmowers humming in the distance. I absolutely love our house with it's sprawling yard and many opportunities for outdoor relaxation. Here are a few pictures from around the house that speak summer and beauty to me:

Our wild perennial garden which I try to maintain

Mini Rosebush (excuse the sideways picture - don't know how to fix!)

I love the looks of this swing on our crabapple tree in the front yard

Back patio. How about curling up with a good book on the wooden swinging bench?

Swings for the kiddos and ample place for the adults to sit and supervise or just enjoy a coffee and gebukje

Front patio. We have a cozy yellow awning that can be cranked out when the sun gets too hot
Nothing says summer more than a lazy afternoon in the hammock!
What says beauty more than a potful of pansies?

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I love your pictures! I'm a little homesick for a typical Canadian summer, but will have to do with the ups and downs of a Dutch summer. Like you, I'm also thoroughly enjoying the beauty summer offers!
I'd love to have coffee with a gebakje sometime next summer :)

Nicolette said...

aww, now i am homesick!!!! can't wait to see you all next week!!! am getting super excited!

Irene said...

I'm super excited for ya'll coming too!! And Sandra, we'd love to have you over :)