Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dresser Reveal


Aaaannnd... the dresser project is finished! My original plan was to paint the whole think "Old White" by Annie Sloane, but after finishing the drawers I thought, forget it, this is too much work! Haha. But I'm pleased with the overall look and I can always paint the rest white at another time.

BEFORE
The beauty of using Annie Sloane or any other kind of chalk paint is that you don't have to sand down your furniture before hand. However, since my dresser had been painted multiple times in the past, I went over it quickly with the power sander to remove any dried paint trips and to smooth it all out.

DURING - After Sanding
The following pictures were taken after I had painted the drawers and distressed them a little (but I hadn't waxed anything yet which is why it still looks quite dull). And this is when I decided to call it quits :). I sent these pictures to Ange to ask her advice: does it look ok?? Can I leave it like this or must I continue on painting?? We came to the conclusion that yes it indeed did look ok, but while I was at it, the reddish/peachy coloured curtains in my room would have to go.



Now all that was left to do was to wax the entire piece and find new handles and knobs to replace the old ones. Where to find unique hardware - that was another dilemma! I checked out a couple places in the near vicinity but they either only carried your boring old traditional style or the prices were outrageous. So this is what led me to make a quick over-the-border trip to my favourite craft store, Hobby Lobby where I picked out these awesome glass knobs and handles. 



And now for the great reveal of the finished product! (Oh and I had to sneak in a picture of my new curtains too :)).




5 comments:

SJB said...

Looks great! Good job! Want to do a job for me?? :) Kidding (sort of lol!)

Nicolette said...

super cool, bubs! love it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Irene,
It looks great... I would probably have done the same. If you want a real design challenge, I could totally see a union jack flag painted on the front. (But I couldn't see me doing all that work, lol)
Lora

Irene said...

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE white sheer curtains...they make a view out of a window!
Dor