Thursday, April 22, 2010
I Like Your Kids... But Can't Relate. Sorry.
What happens to women's brains once they have children? Do they no longer possess the ability to carry on interesting and intelligent conversations that do not involve their kids?? Sigh. When I find myself in situations where a large group of females are conversing about kids and child-related stuff, I generally wander over to join their hubbies whose conversations are often much more interesting and entertaining. Even if everyone in the room DOES have kids, why are they the topic of nearly every conversation?
I know this is a gross generalization... just... I'm kinda caught in the middle right now. Early life crisis shall we say ;). We've got the single fun-loving teeny boppers on the one hand and the married-with-kids folks on the other. So whaddya do when you are getting tired of childish games but are not part of the married ranks?
To all you married-with-children people out there, I like you and love hanging out with you (I even enjoy your kids - alot!). HOWEVER, since I'm not exactly at the same stage in life as you, please spare me the details - I can't relate and don't particularly care about the trials and tribulations that go along with motherhood.
Does this sound awfully self-centered of me? Sorrio. Just venting a little. It's good to do once in a while, so they say! :)
Thankfully, however, you can call me Miss Ultra-Flexible. I can flit around quite easily from group to group - chat with the wee ones, converse with the older, talk to those my age... Still it does kinda suck not quite fitting in anywhere.
But, let me just remind myself, this too shall pass...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
awww...Irene! I can totally relate, having been there. In our family I was surrounded by mothers, and off I'd be to talk to the guys. So the question is: why do mothers talk about babies? It's because that's what they're dealing with 80% of the time and that's what they have in common with each other. Birthing stories top it all b/c it's probably the most tramautic experience in life! Get a pile of teachers together: school comes out. But I agree with your point completely: people need to be more sensitive and aware of people who are not in the same situation of life as them. And you're right, this too shall pass. Give it some time and you'll be right in the heated discussion of baby jar food vs. homemade baby food. lol
ha ha. love your post. it is true. do i do that when i talk to you???? hope you find some sensible people to talk to. niccy girl
haha i agree
the worst is diaper stories and such
I dont CARE if little johnny pooped three times today... REALLY
It's good to be reminded of this... thanks! I'm meeting with 6 other girlfriends in a couple weeks, some of whom are married without kids and one girl is single. I will try my hardest not to talk only about my kids because I know that if I was them I'd get frustrated too.
so true...sometimes i would rather play with the children than talk with the adults. i think its important for women to stimulate each other to discuss things outside of what they deal with in their every day "mom" lives. this promotes growth spiritually, intellectually, etc. it can also remind women that there are so many other important issues in the world around them- not just the ones they find within their own personal homes. this being said, i do not despise the overflowing love they have for their children-- but be conscious that for some it can be difficult to relate...especially after hours of it.
Post a Comment