I am much too impulsive at times! The other day I went for a refreshing walk that wound it's way through the woods. It was a beautiful breezy day with the sun shining and birds chirping. Along the way I noticed several large mushroom type things a little ways off the path. They looked like white soccer balls stuck close to the ground. The largeness, the roundness, the whiteness, the coolness of those mushrooms fascinated me and compelled me to make my way over for a closer look.
But then what did I do next? I picked one, examined it a little closer and promptly threw it against the closest tree with glee, watching it smash into a million pieces. What satisfaction! But then I was made to feel guilty. Why in tarnation did I just smash an innocent mushroom into smithereens? Don't get me wrong, I'm not turning into a fanatical tree hugger, but my actions did make me think. If I was taking my kids for a walk through the woods, I want to be the type to instill into them a deep appreciation for nature and the amazing and beautiful way our God has displayed His creativity. I DONT want to model behaviour that would have them being destructive with nature for no good reason. So, no more mushroom mashing for me!!


3 comments:
A little mushroom mashing is ok...but I know what you mean. Anyways, by mashing it, you probably spread the spores even farther than they could have gone on their own, and so technically you helped it to reproduce. So don't feel too bad! :)
-Ange
Andrea is right. it's fair to say that the ecological effect of smashing 1 mushroom is basically nil. If it helps you relieve stress, go for it... No reason to feel bad about it.
Ok thanks guys! Now I don't feel like I was so destructive
Post a Comment