Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Parenting Tips: Tuesday's Tips #39

I'm hooked on the Duggar family again. I got their book from the library and watched a bunch of their TV episodes on DVD a few years ago and have recently re-visited them. From family dynamics to organizational methods, their family is quite fascinating. At first I was rather aghast at their family and lifestyle - 19 kids? Homeschooled?? But after browsing their website and watching a whole pile of their TLC episodes on DVD, I've really come to admire Michelle Duggar (the mom). Initially she might come across as a little bit "gushy" and slightly naive/head-in-the-clouds, but I've really come to admire her gentle and positive spirit! For today's tips I want to share the Duggars Top 5 Parenting Tips. Although I don't have a family of my own yet, these tips will be valuable one day.

1. Teach our children to love God with all of their heart, soul, mind and strength, and memorize God’s word together as a family.
2. Teach them to have a servant’s heart, leading by your example. Love your neighbor as yourself.
3. Daily read the Proverb of the Day that corresponds with the day of the month and discuss it as a family.
4.Diligently keep up with each child’s attitudes and actions and ask what is going on in their heart. Pray with them one on one letting them lead in prayer and then you closing the prayer time together.
5. Ask God to help you conquer anger because it can destroy your relationship with your children. Praise them ten times more than you correct. In their book Michelle says – anger shows your worst side. And often times when we have angry outbursts our anger is worse than what the child has actually done! Michelle follows Proverbs 15:1 “A gentle answer turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger.” She says when she feels angry, she lowers her voice rather than raises it and will sometimes take it to almost a whisper! Now that’s self-control at it’s best!

1 comment:

Lidia said...

Number 5 is one I've been convicted about as well. So true. Thanks for posting these.